Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Having Your Own Website, Domain, Host

Good Morning, and Welcome to LilacsNDreams Blog. I wanted to stop in here today, and mention about websites, and having your own domain. Many of us would like to do our own, and it can be a good move. But, there is always the issue of the cost with them too. Yes, they can be quite costly to set up, and sometimes maintain too. I guess it all depends on what you wish to do with the website. But, do know there are some sites that are free, and low cost too.

Some use their websites as their selling venues, some have websites that are maybe 1-2 pages because it is more as advertising for them, and there are some who use their websites as a landing page for all their venues, other websites, blogs, and so on and just redirect from there. 

For me? I am not a computer techie person, and therefore I teach myself as I go. Learn as I go, sometimes ask questions, or read answers to questions answered. I have been working with different places, trying them out, and of course seeing other places mentioned by many too. So, I am here today to mention a few to you, and if you have any to add to this list, please do so:)

First mentioned is going to be Weebly. This place is free. Some have added buttons t here for paypal, and google checkout. I think I seen a shopping cart there too. For me I use my Artfire and Ecrater widgets in place of the shopping carts right now. You can click, and still purchase, but I do not have the extra expense of a cart with it at this time. Has been accessible moving around this place, they have templates offered for you to use, and you set things as you wish to do. I have seen some use this as their blog too. Check it out when you can, and also visit my LilacsNDreams Weebly Site too. 

Ok, on with the list of sites to use. Another place to use is with Google. It is free, use as many pages as you desire, but will note to you that it is a little trying here too. As all things are with google...they make you work at it, and can get complicating sometimes. But, you get unlimited pages here, and it is free. I have one of my domains directed to a site with godaddy for a google site. Please visit if you would like at LilacsNDreams.net

Another place I have seen mentioned is PageBuzz. They have the shopping cart there, many templates to choose from that you would like to use, and I believe their cost was $20 a month. Some are using HighWire which I think can cost about $19.95 a month, and up depending what you choose. There is Big Commerce which the cost is about $24.95? a month, and up also. Some have used Yahoo, Prostores, HostMonster was mentioned and is about $6.95 a month. There is WordPress that some have liked, and some didn't because of the html and css coding you worked with. There is Vendio that does have a shopping cart. When choosing them make sure you choose the free store, or you will get tied in with ebay unless that is what you would like. There is GoDaddy that does domain registerations, but also hosting too. Webs is another free place to use. And...don't forget you can use your Blog Blogger as a website too. 

Remember, it all depends what you want from the site, how much work you would like to do with it to get it ranked, seen, and etc. I find along with many others for the time being that redirecting from your website has been easier. You do not have to spend as much time populating it with products. Websites can be great for redirection....to your venues that you use, and to use as a gallery. 

Also, it has been suggested that you should have your domain, and your hosting registrations separately. I agree with this. I use godaddy for my domain registrations, and like it has I can control where it is directed to. I might direct it to a website at one time, and then due to circumstances decide to change it to maybe my blog. Either way, customers and friends keep using the same URL address, and are redirected without any hassle on their part too. 

Hope this has helped some of you with decisions on having your own websites. Remember, they can take some work and time, but how much is up to what you want to put into it, and how you want the site treated too. Good Luck to all of you, and again, if you have any to add to the list, please feel free to suggest them. Happy Hump Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...